Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lots of Spooky fun

So the last couple of Fridays we have had a family fun night. We are having such a great time with this we have decided to make it a new family tradition. Orange and I put our heads together and came up with a list of fun scary movies that would get the kids in the spirit of Halloween. So what we do in our family is... during the day mom and the little kids go to the video store and pick out a movie. Then we go to the store to get what we need. We have been doing popcorn and a treat of some kind. The first night we went to a local gas station and everyone got to pick a treat. We have made rice krispy treats with Halloween m&m's. Both were fun so I think we will just switch off depending on how the day is going for mom. I can't tell you how much my kids look forward to this. It is so fun to see them laugh and cover their eyes and come crawling on our laps. Orange and I had a lot of fun putting together this list. It brought back such good memories. Here's our list: I haven't seen this movie, but I LOVED the book when I was a kid. So I'm looking forward to the movie.
This we have seen and was a hit with all the kids.

This one might wait a few years. I loved it when I was younger, but it scared the crap out of me. It's Disney and it's rated PG but I know it's too soon for my bunch.

Loved this movie. Orange came up with this one. I was a little confused at first but then he reminded me that the lady is a witch. This is next on our list to watch.



Have not seen this. Has anyone else? Should be safe for all ages. Rated PG




This is a classic Halloween movie. It's been a long time so I might have to watch again before the kids do. Anyone else remember it very well? Rated PG

This is new. Has anyone seen it yet? Rated PG


Another classic. It's a fun little adventure and scare for the kids. We did this a while ago. WARNING my 2yr old did have a bad dream that night:( But the other kids really enjoyed it.



Because there is a Big Foot on here it made this list. I really liked this one when it came out forever ago.

I barely remember watching this. Because of the title, it made our list.


This was the first one we watch. HUGE HIT! I couldn't think of a better show to get them excited for Halloween. Lots of covered eyes and jumping laps. No warnings on this from me though. So fun!

Classic. Fun for all ages. I have great memories of watching this from a really young age.

Great one for the little ones.Another one for the little kids.


This one is PG 13. I love this movie. It gets me in the mood for fall and Halloween. The music is really good. I showed this to my kids and fast forward a few parts. They liked it. Especially the very end when the all did their special Halloween magic trick.


I remember watching this with my family growing up. I don't remember it enough to recommend it to peoples children. This is one we will have to preview I think before we watch it as a family. It's gotta be on the Halloween movie list though.


Because of the wicked witch of the east. This movie made our list. Plus, my kids haven't seen it yet. Pretty sad.



Let me know if there are any that I am missing that you can think of. We are having a blast this Halloween season.


























































































9 comments:

Emily said...

Great list! I used to watch Clue every Halloween, but haven't shown it to my kids yet. Even though it's PG, there is a lot of adult content. Great for a laugh though!

Beth said...

Thats a great list of movies! I can't think of any that you left out. We just watched Hocus Pocus, love that movie! And I loved the movie The Witches when I was younger. I remember The Black Cauldron being a little scary, I read the book. And Beetlejuice is a little weird, but I don't think theres anything really bad in it.
I haven't seen Coraline, but I heard that its pretty freaky, maybe you'll want to preview that one first :]
Have fun! I can't wait till my little guy is old enough to enjoy this.

Brandi said...

Coraline will scare the crap out of your kids (and maybe even you). You may want to hold off on that one.

Ghostbusters is another that is a little iffy for kids. There's some sexual stuff and some scenes that could be pretty scary for little ones.

Brandi said...

Oh, forgot--The Nightmare Before Christmas is a good one (it's both Halloween-y and Christmas-y), and Edward Scissorhands might be good, too (but it's been a LONG time since I've seen it).

I've heard that The Corpse Bride was cute and safe for kids.

So, umm, I guess look for Tim Burton directed movies. :)

Isaac Nielsen said...

Julia and I saw Coraline in the theater in 3D. It was good. You probably want to watch it before the little ones to check it out.

Nielsen Familia said...

How fun! Is Orange always so willing to do these fun holiday traditions? Will you have him talk to Isaac? haha, anyway I LOVE Hocus Pocus! We have to watch it every year! I think it is the ultimate "getting into the spirit of Halloween" movie. You should seriously consider Private Eyes with Don Knotts and Tim Conway. I think it is HILARIOUS, and halloweenie. Another one I really like is Wait Until Dark. They are both oldies, but I like them!

Amanda said...

Great movie picks! I remember loving Black Cauldron as a kid, but I don't remember much about it. Coraline freaked my kids out, but then they asked to watch if over and over again. They're weird.

Linds said...

Are you still there? I just realized I hadn't seen a post from you in a while...see you in a week, right?

AMIT said...

Hey thats a informative post from you.

Domain registration india