Friday, September 11, 2009

Today's date

A day to Reflect.
Some words that come to mind: Shock, fear, sacrifice, vulnerability, sadness, and one more....unity! I remember this day eight years ago as if it were only months ago....that is if I stop to think about it. I was working (as a nanny) and watching the morning kid shows. My mom called to tell me that a plane just flew into one of the world trade center buildings. So I quickly turned the channel to see the news footage in shock. I remember saying to my mom " We were just there 12 days ago"!! We had taken Orange's brothers up to New York and we all went to tour the buildings. Of coarse I continued to watch as then the second plane hit and then as everything else unfolded with the Pentagon and the plane in Pennsylvania. What a since of shock and fear I felt realizing.....our country was under attack! Both parents of the kids I worked for and my new husband were on military bases and I had every reason to believe that those bases would be targets as well. I remember waiting. I remember going outside to see fighter jets flying over head as we were only a short distance from D.C. and all the planes were still trying to land. I remember my drive home on I-95 as a lived 3 exits south from my employers. This normally bumper to bumper, rush hour free-way had minimal cars driving. It was a very eerie feeling. What I think about today as I am reflecting are the flags. Do you remember all the flags that you could find on so many cars, houses, buildings, fences, bridges and fire trucks? It was so amazing to see how united the people of this prosperous, self-indulged country became. Do you remember? What a shame to see how that has slowly faded away over time. I need to go find my flag.

1 comment:

Monique said...

I love this post Desiray and you reminded me how many flags I saw, too. I loved that part! And how on our Radio station, they played children saying the Pledge of Allegiance on every hour of the workday. Good memory.