Thursday, January 29, 2009

The BEST Job description




This is the BEST job description of a "Stay at home mom" I have read thus far. It is amazing how accurate I found it to match with my day to day duties.

And it goes like this:

When you have young kids, your typical day is : constant attention, from getting them out of bed, fed, cleaned, dressed; to keeping them out of harm's way; to answering their coos, cries, questions; to having two arms and carrying one kid, one set of car keys, and supplies for even the quickest trips, including the lastest-to-be-declared essential piece of molded plastic gear; to keeping them from un-shelving books at the library; to enforcing rest time; to staying one step ahead of them lest they get too hungry, tired, or bored, any one of which produces checkout-line screaming.

It's needing 45 minutes to do what takes others 15. It's constant vigilance, constant touch, constant use of your voice, constant relegation of your needs to the second tier. It's constant scrutiny and second-guessing from family and friends. It's resisting constant temptation to seek short-term relief at everyone's long-term expense.

It's doing all this while con-currently teaching virtually everything---language, manners, safety, resourcefulness, discipline, curiosity, creativity, empathy and everything in between.


Whew.....are you just tired from reading that? The funny thing is, at least for me. These are all things I do all day everyday and it has become routine so I don't look at these things as a long list of things to do. However, it is a nice reminder of "WHY" I am so tired at the end of some days. That it's OK when I feel like I am not measuring up as a mom. Because lets face it....that's a LONG--HARD list!! Notice at the beginning it mentioned "moms of young kids". I am sure this list gets easier as they get older but I have heard that you just trade problems with different ones. So I am not so sure "mom's of older kids" list is much easier.

Dedicated to all you stay at home mom's. :)

6 comments:

MMThueson said...

I love it! and agree with you on it being a reminder of why we are so tired at the end of the day. that is a good one.

Monique said...

Sho nuf girl... The thing is, the list goes on and on and on and on and the next day you start all over. Constant diligence and vigilance! Way to sum it up. Here's to you! (I even mentioned you and you winning the mom of the year award last year.) Phew!

Brandee said...

So true! I saw you at the dinner on Friday night but by the time I made my way over after it ended, you were already gone! Hope you enjoyed yourself - I had a good time!

Emily said...

So true so true! Hope all is going well. Give me a call when you get a minute!

Da Ilaoa's said...

Too cute. I made the mistake of saying the words "buy since you don't have a job" to my mom over Christmas. I get the death look from all my "mom" sisters. We were not talking about her not being completly and insanely busy all the time, I think I was actually asking a question. But, the words did not come out right. I have to give props to all moms! Looking forward to welcome home pics with your hubby...and seeing some of your belly :)

Esther Ogden said...

Hi there! I am Sally Peterson's sister-in-law. Your names intrigued me on her list of blogs so I decided to stop by and check it out! I LOVE your blog. You are a good writer and seem like a super fun person-I enjoyed reading your posts! You have a darling family! =)