Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back in the day



I can't remember the last time I actually ENJOYED going to the mall. I am thinking that it might have looked something like this.
I think back in the day it used to be on my top 5 favorite things to do. BUT not so much anymore. Let me give you a outline of how our day at the mall went:
So I have my list of things to do. So that I A: don't get distracted. and B: So I am sure to get everything done before the kids alarm me that they won't stand another minute. and C: So I know where to park and we do as little back tracking as possible.
Well, we start on the top floor. I am planning to be there awhile until the kids want to look over the railing to all the fun things going on below and Gabby decides to kick her sandal off and watch it fall to the bottom level.
Then while I am trying on the cutest clothing I get side tracked as my children that aren't contained in the stroller decide to crawl under all the stalls that these poor women are trying to try clothes on in. Decide to get out of there and do my ol' trusted trick....Buy it if you think you might like it....and take it back if you don't. So as I am paying I hear a crash and My lg. Drink I just purchased is now a huge puddle for everyone to walk through as they pay for their things.
Make the mistake to go into Hallmark and look for a card. I am reading through them as fast as I can until I am interrupted by the sound of crashing glass and a broken vase on the floor. $29.99 later. We make a mad dash to the hot blistering car.
Toss the kids in the van so they don't feel the wrath of my anger....trying to un-buckle the baby from the stroller and I am instantly soaked with water! Kort decides that his water I got him from lunch was old and he stood in the door and threw it out. Apparently I was in his path of watering the parking lot. Just as I am seriously about to lose it with him I look past him to see Natalie my 2yr old handling what looks like a spider web. As I look closer it is my hot, melted, chewed gum that I had put back in it's wrapper when I ate my lunch. Yep she found it, opened it and couldn't get it off her hands.
Conclusion: Going to the Mall is now on my top 5 things I dread to do!!


15 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow. You're brave. I only have two and I have to have a REALLY good reason to leave my house without Anton. I know you don't have that choice right now, but I think I would've gone for the order it off the internet and if it doesn't fit send it back routine. :) At least you got a nice refreshing shower to cool you off from the heat!

Monique said...

Oh my! (wipe a tear of laughter) I can totally hear you telling this tale to me word for word. You always have the best stories. If anyone can handle anything like this it is you. Keep laughing. I remember mall shopping with you. You can handle a lot!

The Galan Family said...

Des, I was laughing hysterically reading your post. You are so funny and I only wish I could have heard you telling this experience in person. I could totally hear your frustration. You really are brave. But, some days you just have to get OUT of the house and do what it takes to accomplish all the little errands you need to make no matter how embarrassing it may be. I totally relate to this. For me the key is bringing enough snacks to stuff my kids faces to buy me more time. You start with the healthy stuff and then by the end when I am desperate to finish up, I break out the fruit snacks and suckers. You do what you gotta do. I loved this post!

Harmony said...

Hilarious post! I think I remember a Burger King incident when we lived near each other too! :-)

I am so proud of you for taking four to the mall though--they pump something in the air there that makes kids hysterical (same stuff they use at WalMart)

Thank goodness for Amazon.com and free shipping! I'm loving these posts!

MMThueson said...

I would have gone home and cried...scratch...I would have broke down right there! Thank you for sharing that however because now I know my two aren't the only ones to do that and I can now take another slap at myself for starting to consider another one right now which Matt has worked so hard at getting me to do.

Nielsen Familia said...

Oh my word, that sounds like a fun day. Wow, I'm sorry Desiray! I don't know if I could have held back the tears in that situation!

Emily said...

Oh des, I hear you! I took the kids to get a jamba juice because I had a buy one get one free coupon and thirty dollars later, we walked out with no juice- only a broken bottle of vitamin suppliments to increase my sex drive. Who makes glass vitamin bottles? Can't wait to see you!

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Hey I love your blog it is so great. It was so fun to get to know you and hang out last night. We really should go running together it has been such a huge stress-relief with Hilton being gone! I am running a 1/2 in August and maybe someday a full, I am still thinking about it! You have such a cute family! I am excited that we can be bloggin buddies! See you in a few weeks. We have got to be the best Army Wives out there! LOL!

Laura said...

Wow, what a day. If you want to come to the Pocatello mall, I will watch your kids at Grandma's or our home!!!

Okay, so it probably isn't worth the drive, but the offer is there. (There aren't many good stores here though)

Lucy said...

Des, I only got to the part where you began the story. I'm already laughing... I don't even know what happened yet. Can't wait to see - I'm picturing you across the scrap table to get the full effect, off to read it!

Lucy said...

Classic. Loved it, and enjoyed reading all the comments too!

Aric and Sally said...

That's pretty funny.

Marianne said...

Life gets better. Eventually you can leave them all at home and go by yourself. For hours. And try anything and everything on if you want.

Monique said...

So I just re-read this because today EVERYTHING went wrong. Something about Maleia peeing right BEFORE getting in a pool so you have a big yellow spot on the ground, then Haley spilling my chick-fil-A lemonade all over Dylan (yellow), me leaving my purse at the hair salon. . . things like that. Yea, and it's only HALF over!! Love ya!

Da Ilaoa's said...

We need to keep in touch more! I just saw that you know the Petersons (Aric and Sally) by posting on their page. They are in our ward and we think they are so awesome. We normally sit behind them and Megan is always smiling and teasing Aaron. I felt bad asking them how they knew you and how much more they know about you! I'm glad you got to see the pics of our family. I really wish that we all lived closer to eachother. Its great coming out to grandma's but the years are too far between!