
Gabby has her own sign language interpreter in school. So she is reviewing and learning new signs like crazy. Children are like sponges. So I figured I needed to upgrade my skills so I would be prepared to teach and review the signs at home as well. So I took the plunge after my sister graciously agreed to watch my kids and signed up for the advanced signing class. The first thing the instructor said was: "From now on there will be no verbal speaking". I instantly got nervous and kicked my concentration into gear. I was shocked with how much I understood. And then it was kinda fun. I love this language. I feel blessed in a way that our family is forced to be bi-lingual. I love to watch Gabby and the other two communicate with their hands. I love that I can scold my children in church with my hands. I love that I can communciate across the gym with my husband and don't have to yell. I never knew what a blessing sign language would be in our family. I am anxious to learn more and more and have my little ones learn it as well. I was given a huge compliment by Gabby's teacher. A note was sent home the other day that the instructors from the school of the deaf came to evaluate Gabby. And they gave her a second grade level of skill. I know I am a bragging mom but that was such a huge compliment for us! Gabby you bring so much love into our family. Thank you for giving us the honor of learning this language. I am both proud and grateful everytime I watch your little hands speak such innocent words. I love you!

3 comments:
Okay, so you made me tear up! Des, you are so great at putting things into perspective and seeing the positive in everything! That is so awesome that Gabby is doing so well. Sounds like she is a little signing machine!
Awesome! I so need to pick up a few of those skills myself!
One of my favorite memories with you was taking that college sign language class at AACC with you and making the sacrifice every Saturday to go to class and learn and THEN you motivating me to study every week with you. You are so great! I would TOTALLY take that class with you if I were there. Good luck!
Post a Comment